Saturday, December 31, 2011

Christmas Ham

My husband purchased this spiral sliced ham for me:
I cooked it entombed in foil for about 3 hours (following package instructions of 12-15 min per pound at 250F)

I let the ham rest, still entombed, while I made a glaze. I also increased the oven temperature to 375F.

Glaze
1/2 cup orange juice plus 1/4 cup bourbon (cheap is fine) cooked in a small sauce pan over medium heat until syrupy. This will only take a few minutes. While you are cooking the oj and bourbon mix together 1.5 cups of brown sugar, 3 tablespoons dry mustard (or 1/4 cup dijon or other nice mustard if you don't have dry) and 1/4 cup molasses*. Mix oj-bourbon syrup into sugar mustard mixture.

Pour the glaze mixture over the ham sort of gently massaging it into the spiral slices and piling the glaze as much as possible on top of the ham. Then bake for about 30 min or so uncovered until glaze is set and delicious looking.

We enjoyed the ham slices in Martin's dinner potato rolls with mustard.



*I only had black strap molasses on hand which is really dark and strong. The dark molasses gave the ham a beautiful dark color but the outer edges were a bit too molasses-ey.  Light molasses, honey or light corn syrup might have been better choices.

No comments:

Post a Comment