Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Breakfast for the Weary Traveler

For my travel wearied jet lagged husband I made cheesy scrambled eggs with a little heavy cream.

Bacon (Nieman Ranch Applewood Smoked Bacon) roasted in the oven.


Biscuits out of a can. I've tried real biscuits and they don't turn out as good as the canned version. 

And a cup of tea.
  1. I start a pot of coffee and then line the bacon up on a rimmed baking sheet. I insert the bacon into a cold oven and turn it on to 350 F.
  2. Once I have finished my first cup of coffee I check the bacon to make sure I haven't burnt it and remove it from the oven (20 min give or take).
  3. Tilting the pan to one side I remove about 2 teaspoons to 1 tablespoon of the bacon fat and pour it into a large non-stick skillet to cook the eggs.
  4. Grate cheddar or whatever cheese you have on hand, as much as you want.
  5. Set pan over medium high heat (6 out of 10 on my stove) and allow to heat up while you prepare the eggs.
  6. Crack three eggs (two for the weary traveler and one for the weary traveler's son) into a bowl and add a splash (I don't measure but if I did I would guess I add 3 tablespoons or so) of heavy cream.
  7. Whisk vigorously until combined. 
  8. Place bacon back in the oven to re-warm.
  9. Pour eggs into hot pan, sprinkle with cheese and push around with a spatula until large soft curds form. Eggs cook really quickly. So long as you let your pan heat for a good long time it won't take much more than a minute.
  10. Scoop eggs onto a plate as soon as they are just set add bacon, toast (or biscuits) and enjoy!
Disclaimer: I don't eat eggs in their natural eggy state so I have never tasted this egg recipe. Cakes and cookies yes, quiche and omelet no. The first time I made eggs for my husband, I cooked the life out of them. He couldn't even pretend to like them they were so overcooked.  After almost 11 years of marriage, I think i've figured out this egg cooking thing. According to my husband this recipe is delicious.

No comments:

Post a Comment