Saturday, March 3, 2012

Made up as I go Grilled Cheese

Everything tastes good melted between two pieces of buttered and toasted bread. By everything I mean:


  1. Stinky French Brie with Rosemary Ham and Balsamic and Port Cherries
  2. Aged Gouda, Sharp Cheddar, Cilantro and Beer and BBQ Shallots
  3. Plain Sharp Cheddar

To make the Balsamic and Port Cherries I poured about 1/2 bag of frozen pitted cherries into a small sauce pan. To that I added maybe 2-3 tablespoons of balsamic vinegar (I didn't measure so really I have no clue) and another tablespoon of Noval Black (a cross between and Ruby and a Tawny Port I had at Spraga).  I cooked the cherries over medium heat until the liquid reduced to a syrupy consistency.

To make Beer and BBQ Shallots I sliced one really large (freakishly large really) shallot into rings approximately 1/8" thick. I cooked the shallots in a small sauce pan with olive oil, salt, pepper, 1/2 bottle of beer and 3 tablespoons of BBQ sauce over medium low heat until they almost melted into an oniony, bbq-ey paste.

The above things are made better by good friends who hang out in the kitchen with you while cook and more exciting by the herd of three boys running laps through the kitchen.

No comments:

Post a Comment